Sunday, January 10, 2016

MOM, DAD... WE'RE MOVING TO COSTA RICA.

In March of 2015, my (at the time) boyfriend, Brett, told me that he wanted to learn Spanish. I always knew that he was the determined type, so this didn’t surprise me all that much. However, what did take me by surprise was that he asked me if I wanted to move with him to Latin America. At first, I thought he was kidding, but I quickly realized that he was genuinely interested in moving. 

                            
http://www.resort-costarica.com/about_costa_rica.html

We started looking into programs in which we could teach English in Spanish-speaking countries and we came across the International TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Academy. This program required an eleven week online course and a 20 hour practicum that included a combination of observing an ESL classroom and student teaching. The course we signed up for started in May and we were both able to complete everything by the end of October.  We were super excited when we got our certificates in the mail!






After the course came the planning and organizing of the trip. We had to get our typhoid vaccines, scan and make copies of documents, try to familiarize ourselves with San Jose for when we first got there, and book our ticket out of the country. For Costa Rica, it is a requirement to have an exit ticket out of the country within 90 days while on a tourist visa. We decided to book our bus ticket for Panama around the end of March! Shout out to Mom and Dad for buying us those tickets for our early birthday presents.  

Christmas was soon right around the corner and both Brett’s and my Christmas list consisted of the following: backpacks, sunscreen, bug repellent, de-wrinkle spray for our clothes, microfiber towels, flashlights, a flip belt, and reusable water bottles. I’m pretty sure we have enough sunscreen and bug spray to last us the whole trip now. :) Bill and Carrie got both of us a sweet backpack that has a metal mesh inside to prevent pickpockets from slashing our bags and stealing our stuff. (If you’re interested in antitheft bags, https://www.pacsafe.com is a great way to go.)




After Christmas day was over, I thought I had everything I wanted for the big trip that was starting in less than two weeks. Everything seemed to be falling right into place, exactly as we hoped it would. One important detail was missing, and Brett was the one who made sure it was taken care of... Say hellloooooo to the future Mrs. Heber!!! Yep, that’s me! On our two year anniversary, just a week before we left, Brett asked me to marry him. Now, I get to tell everyone that I am on this six month trip to Costa Rica with my FIANCÉ and I couldn’t be more thrilled about it! I’m a lucky girl.










Right before New Year’s, we started to pack our bags. Packing was a little more challenging than I expected. Since our plan is to teach English while we are there, we had to pack professional clothes in addition to what we were planning for hiking volcanoes, swimming in the Carribean, working out, going salsa dancing, etc. Our 50lb checked bags can only hold so much, ya know. Luckily for me, one of my very best friends, Alana, was there to teach me how to pack. I do have a picture of her making my packing list and literally rolling up my clothes/fitting them into my suitcase like a puzzle, but I forgot that memory card back in PA. Boo. But Alana, if you’re reading this, I might need you to fly down here to help me pack to come home. Please?


After many hours of organizing my room, putting my remaining clothes and things away in bins, and stressing over making sure that my documents were all scanned and saved somewhere safe, I was ready to meet Brett and his parents in Pittsburgh on January 3rd, 2016. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:01 am from Pittsburgh on the 4th, so my parents, Brett’s parents, my sister Morgan, and her boyfriend Nick all met for supper the night before. Brett and I were really excited about this because we love our parents and love when we are all together at the same time. We also wanted to be sure that they understood how much we appreciate their support with this trip, even though we know they were sad about us leaving. I know that with my parents, they gave me my sense of adventure and I know that they want me to take advantage of opportunity when I have the chance. So, to our Moms and Dads, please know that we don’t take your support for granted. We know that we wouldn’t be here in this crazy, unpredictable, awesome learning experience/adventure without you guys. XOXOXOXO

 My parents (Matt & Lisa), myself, Brett, and my future in-laws (Carrie & Bill)!
We can't forget Mya there, too, at Mom's feet.

Brett and myself with my sister, Morgan, and her boyfriend, Nick.
After dinner, Morgan was nice enough to allow us to stay at her apartment to catch a few Z’s before heading to the airport at four in the morning. Mom, Dad, and our dog, Mya, passed out in the sleeping bags on the living room floor without any trouble. Brett and I, on the other hand, lay there laughing in disbelief, knowing that our newly engaged selves would soon be walking the streets of San Jose, Costa Rica. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it!! I want more to read and see!! Yay!! I am so excited for you guys in so Many ways. Love you!! Xxoox

    ReplyDelete